Sunday, June 26, 2011

Faith is spelt R*I*S*K: and a quote from Theodore Rooservelt

There is a lot happening in my life at the moment. The chapel here at Auckland University is being renovated and its hard to concentrate amidst Ramset nails, buzz saws and other construction noises. The funding for the church plant I have been involved in is coming to an end (sadly without any other sources) and I am being forced to consider other options and possibilities for my life. There is a real sense of grief and questioning about what I could have done better. Amidst that I have also discovered the Auckland Public library  reserve system and have been requesting books I have wanted to read for a long time. One of those is 'In The Company Of Heroes', (2003, Bantam Press ) in which Micheal J Durant (with the help of Steven Hartov) tells his story of the shooting down of his Blackhawk Helicopter and his captivity and ordeal in Somali in 1993. It is a story of great courage and heroism and perseverance in the face of adversity. The book starts with a quote from Theodore Roosevelt that I found both inspiring and helpful as I wrestle with evaluating the last three years of my life. I share it with you.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the one whom points out how the strong man (person, to give the quote a 21st Century sensibility)  stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man (person) who is actually in the arena; whose face is mari3ed by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion and spends himself (themselves) in a worthy cause; who at best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst if he fails, at least while daring greatly; so that his (their) place shall never be with those cold and timid soul who know neither victory or defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt (Sorbonne, Paris April 23rd 1910)

I am always reminded of my New Testament lecturer at Bible College coming back from a John Wimber conference saying he felt inspired and challenged by Wimber's assertion that faith was spelt R*I*S*K (and I have heard it used in many other places as well since)and I have remembered that not just because I am an atrocious speller but because of its profound challenging truth. I hope I will continue to have faith, dream dreams and follow my saviour out into the arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment