Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Some Reflections on the Death of Osama Bin Laden

I have been wrestling with the news this week of the shooting of Osama Bin Laden.

Friends of mine have posted two quotes that sum things up for me on their facebook pages.

"do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice". Proverbs 24:17


... a facebook quote (I have had to edit because of useful comment. 'I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy... (which then goes on to quote  from a 1957 sermon on loving your enimies by Martin Luther king Jr)  "Returning hate for hate multiplies hate.... Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

2 comments:

  1. Its a bit late to cry out on behalf of MLK jr, though the words may be of similar sentiment, they are not his. Blogger Megan McCardle of "The Atlantic" has done the research. http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/05/anatomy-of-a-fake-quotation/238257/
    The quote was misquoted at church on sunday by a well meaning intercessor, and I held off making a comment but will follow up. Always enjoy your words though Howard.
    BC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bctechnzl. I have ammended my post content wise rather than sentiment wise.

    ReplyDelete